How to Cleanse Your Energy: A Guide for Empaths
Table of Contents
Hey friends!!! Welcome back!
Are you an empath? If so, this is the perfect article for you.
Currently, I work one-on-one with patients in a doctor's office, so I encounter multiple different energies in one day.
As an empath, this can be quite challenging, as I have a tendency to absorb the energies others transmit, accidentally, and this can leave me feeling drained. Back when I was in school, they taught us to empathize with the patients, because that’s what patients want. What they didn’t teach was how to detach from people’s energies, or how to be aware of energy vampires. More on this in a minute.
Empaths and Their Gifts
Empaths are highly emotionally intelligent beings with a healing capacity for empathy among other gifts. Empaths are sensitive, intuitive, and natural helpers. They are old souls. Empaths feel deeply and feel other's pain deeply.
Empaths care about the well-being of the those around them.
While all of these are immensely necessary for the planet at this time, empaths do have some shadow sides.
The Shadow Side of Empaths
Empaths can often have poor boundaries, especially when they assume rescuer energy. They want to help, however, sometimes they can get too involved.
They can also neglect their own needs for the needs of others.
They tend to attract narcissists into their lives because they think on some level they can help them.
Lastly, they have to be mindful of energy vampires. An energy vampire is someone who hooks their energy to an empath and drains them. An example of this is someone with negative energy who vents to unload on the empath. The empath then absorbs this energy to lift the burden from the vampire.
This is unhealthy because empaths, in worst case scenarios, can get sick (yes, physically) but in less severe scenarios, have to sort through feelings that aren’t their own.
I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again. We are energetically responsible for ourselves. This includes regular emotional hygiene (ie., processing and releasing emotions). Anything less than this is energetic pollution in my eyes.
While we could sit here and blame energy vampires, (which is something I used to do), we can also empower ourselves to disengage and detach healthily from energy vampires to reclaim and stand in our beautiful life force energy.
The first step to any of this is asking yourself, in reference to your emotions:
Is this mine or someone else’s?
If the answer is yes…
Then here are 6 ways to then cleanse your energy.
1. Affirm "I observe, I don't absorb": I learned in a workshop recently that empaths may have learned to take on other's emotions in childhood, for example, if they grew up in a household of repressed emotions. On some level, they may have sensed this and took on others feelings to help heal their parents or other loved ones. Whatever the case may be, affirming "I observe, I don't absorb" is a wonderful way to remain detached from people who are swimming in negative energy. This has helped me a lot in my own work.
2. Energetically cut cords after each interaction: according to the book Energy Healing for Empaths: How to Protect Yourself from Energy Vampires, Honor Your Boundaries, and Build Healthier Relationships by Lisa Campion, each time we interact with a person, an energetic cord is formed between you and another person. After you finish speaking with a patient or person, you can do a meditation to “cut the cord” so to speak and gain back your energy. Imagine this in your mind's eye. You can also set the intention to reclaim any lost energy from that interaction (this helps me greatly), and send any energy that is not yours down through your feet and into Mama Earth.
3. Connect with nature: go outside, and stand on actual ground. Barefoot is even better, but if you can’t (you know, if there could be chiggers, like in TN) at least stand on a patch of grass (with shoes) and send any negative energy back to Mama Earth. Mama Earth will transmute it for ya.
4. Use a smudge stick: a smudge stick is a bundle of dried herbs that are burned to clear a room or anyone’s aura of negative energy. Traced back to traditional Native American culture, smudging is thought to assist with improving mood, wisdom and longevity. Examples of dried herbs include sage or lavender. You could also use a palo santo stick. Here are some tips on how to use a smudge stick safely. This can help greatly, though it may not do all of the work, especially if you are still energetically attached to the energy vampire.
5. Use soothing crystals: black crystals, such as black onyx, black tourmaline, or obsidian, are excellent protectors for your energy. They help to ground and protect. I also like green fluorite because it helps me feel my feelings and soothe me when people are starting to get too negative. Amazonite helps me speak my truth and set boundaries. I keep a black onyx, a green fluorite, and an amazonite at my work-from-home desk. Feel free to explore your own soothing crystals that work for you!
6. Take a bath or shower at the end of the day: Water is a great energy cleanser. Adding Epsom salts to the bath (also a great energy cleanser) helps. I’m not much of a bath person, but I love a good shower and find it to be very cleansing. You can imagine all the gunk energy unsticking from you and going down the drain.
And that’s a wrap! These are tips that I’ve found to help me. It can be challenging to be an empath, so learning how to take care of your energy is recommended!
Your energetic well-being matters!
Are you an empath? Do you have an energy clearing technique that works for you?
What would you add to this list?
Sending lots of love,
"Energy never dies. It just transforms." - Lisa Lopes
- Campion, Lisa. Energy Healing for Empaths: How to Protect Yourself from Energy Vampires, Honor Your Boundaries, and Build Healthier Relationships. Reveal Press: 2021.
- Hickey, Kristen. "Smudging 101: Burning Sage To Cleanse Your Space & Self Of Negativity". Mind Body Green. October 2021. https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-17875/a-sage-smudging-ritual-to-cleanse-your-aura-clear-your-space.html
Note: I'm gonna keep sending posts to your inbox. Because it makes me happy. I'll let you know if this changes! 💜
Sage Elephant Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.